Pages

Thursday, August 27, 2009

What's been on my mind...

OK - so I'm still waiting on our new AT&T internet to be up and running at home so that I can post pictures of Mason's party, but a quick and easy description would be that it was a lot of fun! :) Mason had a blast and enjoyed devouring his cake (what a sugar high afterward!). He got lots of fun gifts that he's been enjoying since and that have been taking up most of the non-existent extra space in our house! :) When we get the internet up and running, I'll post some pictures with some more details...

For more of a blog, I have to speak my mind about something really fast. This has really been weighing on my mind this week after something that I saw on Facebook on Monday (I know, like Facebook is the place to spark mind-numbing reflection!). Anyway, my old pastor from Argonia posed a question that went something like this "If there was no music, what would you look for in a church?" I have to say I thought this was a very intriguing question, so I clicked to see the responses that this had received and was excited to read different people's views of what they look for in the church. I have to say, though, that I was thoroughly dissapointed in the answers that were posted. Most seemed very shallow and face-value and while I came to the realization a long time ago that most people's idea of church is just that, I was shocked to see how enthusiastic these people were to post such a response to this question and how overwhelming this consensus was...most people's opinion was that they would look for a dynamic speaker or a place that made them feel welcome. After reading all of these responses, I was moved by my dissapointment at where we are as a church today and what we feel is most important about it. I am, by no means, perfect in my approach to church - let me put that out there as a disclaimer before I go on. I do not claim to know everything and my opinions change from time to time...but I realized some years ago that church is about a lot more than me, so I am always shocked and dissapointed when those that I look up to as my spiritual examples and mentors show that they are more concerned with their own personal satisfaction than with the advancement of God's Kingdom as a whole. I think it's important to take a step back from how we view church and look at the big picture. Music is a huge part of how I worship, as it is a huge part of my life, but I am willing to sacrifice what I consider my favorite type of music if it means that we might reach our community better and therefore, expand God's Kingdom. I wish that I could say that we're all willing to compromise on the things that don't matter, such as style of music, but unfortunately, I have seen A LOT of evidence to the contrary. I admit that I, myself, have been guilty of fighting battles that weren't worth the cost and getting caught up in what I wanted out of church, instead of what really mattered. I consider myself blessed to be a part of a church now that is lead by a team of pastors that see the big picture and are willing to push our selfish desires aside for the good of the Kingdom. I am fortunate to be in a place where I can see God moving and working, even though every day I see people that are willing to die for things that are completely useless and so very trivial. Anyway, I just have to say that I know this will be an ongoing battle, but I had to get this out. Church wears on me sometimes and I have to take a break from all of the bickering. I love my God and I don't understand why others who call themselves His people aren't willing to act like it. My biggest concern is raising my children to not be like those people. I want my kids to be on fire for Christ, and to see that they have been called to something great - to go and make disciples of all nations...not to just sit on a pew once a week and say what you're supposed to say when you're asked a question. Their purpose on this earth is not to sing certain songs in a certain way, or take the offering at a certain time, or to speak their opinion on the color of carpet in the foyer - the purpose for all of our lives is to die to ourselves and allow God to use us for His good - what an amazing thing! How sad that very few realize this. So now my mind will continue to wander - to find ways to raise my children to serve God wholeheartedly...even against all odds.

***I'm stepping off my soapbox now - thanks for reading this if you made it all the way to the bottom :)

1 comment:

  1. Now I'm worried about what I wrote to Mike's question! :) I totally agree with you and did read to the end.

    Mom

    ReplyDelete