Pages

Saturday, October 6, 2012

Uganda Post 2 - Our Fearless Leader

I decided that the beginning is the best place to start. A novel concept, I know...so we're going to start with the woman behind Mercy for Mamas.

I'd like you to meet my friend Melissa. She is a beautiful woman and has an incredible story. Her story isn't mine to tell, but I will tell you what she means to me.



I met her back in 2006 when her Ginger husband Cody came to serve as our pastor at FBC Mulvane. I immediately knew the Busbys were cool...and they have not let me down since that first impression. ;)

The way that Cody and Melissa have served our church is beautiful. They show us truth and grace and love every day. They've shown us all what it looks like to follow God's plans for your family, no matter how much sacrifice and heartache that means.

And while my beautiful friend was in Uganda for 11 months finalizing the adoption of their sweet daughter Mercy, her and Cody offered me and my family support during the hardest time we've known.  While they were fighting for their family, they helped me fight for mine. 

Even though we weren't necessarily the closest of friends, Melissa and I shared random, encouraging emails and sometimes painfully sad moments.  She gave me positive words when I needed them and listened to my heartbreak when I needed that too, while I tried to return the favor for her and her family.

Since then, she's continued to amaze me.  Through her fight to bring her daughter home and her journey to follow God's direction with her experiences since then, she's shown the world her faithfulness in the midst of the craziness.  I've respected her since the day I met her, and that respect just continues to grow.

When she first started sharing info about mama kits and beginning to reveal her calling to start this new ministry, I was continually impressed by her faithfulness and amazed by her ability to swallow how much of an undertaking this was going to be. I'm sure it was scary at times. I'm sure she had freak out moments.  I'm sure she questioned this calling and whether she understood this plan. I'm sure she had times when she felt unequipped to take on this task. I'm sure she'll continue to have those moments as this journey continues to unfold, and that's ok.

But I can tell you that, from the moment she told me about all of this, I knew it was right.  I doubt people a lot...one of my biggest downfalls.  But not this...not for a second.  This was for sure and I was so excited for her and the entire Busby clan. And the journey that they've been on with Mercy for Mamas has been incredible to be able to witness and cheer on.

She's also got a relatively awesome sense of humor, which helps with any Beth Schafers friendship.

So after 6 years or so of knowing this amazing woman, I followed her to Africa.

I can honestly say, I don't know if I would have been so sure and willing to follow anyone else.  I never doubted my safety, I never doubted the vision.  I never doubted the necessity of our service there.  I was confident that Melissa's heart reflected His and that, as a result, the plans would fall into place and we would be exactly where we needed to be. 

I was also confident that, after a very long time of feeling like God wanted me to go to Africa, but plans never working out, this was exactly the right time for me.  And I can tell you now, on the other side of things, that was exactly the case.  This was just what God was preparing me for and why He was making me wait.

The way God used Melissa's time in Uganda to set the stage for Mercy for Mamas, and for this trip specifically, is amazing.  The friendships she formed there and the relationships that continued to grow back home formed the perfect team and plan for the 1st trip.

Our time in Uganda was incredible.  We all had amazing encounters and eperiences.  For me, one of the best of those was seeing my sweet friend take the lead for our group.  She knows her strengths and her weaknesses and is willing to take charge or ask for help when it's needed.  She followed God's promptings on her heart for the plans on this trip and did all that she could to make sure that our agenda matched His.



She's crazy in Uganda. A whole other side of her came out as soon as we stepped off the plane and I love her even more for it. She drove a huge stick shift van with the steering wheel on the wrong side and just laughed the entire time. She dances and sings like crazy to get the kids to laugh and let their guard down. Somehow, her sense of humor becomes even more find tuned and impressive. She tries new things and makes you want to try and keep up. She wears sweet sunglasses off the street and rocks them like no one else can.


She has an amazing Ugandan accent that I finally got to experience firsthand and it was one of the most adorable things I've ever heard.  She negotiates and makes people laugh when she forces them to not give her the "American" price.  She finally got to introduce her American friends to her Ugandan friends.  She got to show us all that she loves about Uganda and you could see the light in her eyes when she was sharing her stories and experiences with us.  It was amazing to see her in this different setting and to be able to feel just how much love she has for these people in this place. 



But while her crazy side comes out, her serious side impressed me even more.  To hear her get up and tell her story to the women that we shared with was touching.  To hear the passion in her voice when she tells these women how much she wants them to have safe, healthy births and how she doesn't want any more orphans in Africa makes me choke up every time.  They know how much she means it, even if they don't speak her language...you can see it in their faces. 

And to hear her talk afterward...about how much these events meant to her...how much it confirms her calling...how much she can see God using her team...that's still getting to me even as I write this.  Then...to have bittersweet conversations with her and other friends in the hotel lobby late at night and talk about our hurts and our joys...is indescribable.  She shares her heart and makes you feel safe to open yours.

Don't get me wrong...she's not a completely different person when you're in a foreign country.  She's the same, wonderful woman on each continent...I just got a much closer look at this friend when we were in this setting.

She shows you Christ's love in her own little ways and her contagious laugh.   She is passionate about giving God the glory for all of it...and the best part is, He's getting it. 

So thanks Melissa for being faithful and for letting this dorky girl tag along with you to Uganda. Thanks for doing what He tells you to and making me do the same. 

I took a poll....and I can still be your friend ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment