Pages

Monday, October 15, 2012

Uganda Post 5 - The Schafers in America

When people heard that I was going on a trip to Africa, most had an immediate question:

Who will take care of the kids?!

And my immediate answer was this:

Their father!!!!!!!

Now, listen...I'm not going to lie...I had my hesitations about what would happen in my absence...not enough to keep me from going, but enough to make me nervous about what I would find upon my return. At times, I thought I would come home to kids that had been fed only shells & cheese and had only been bathed once and a house that looked like it had been robbed. But I say with confidence now that my hesitations and fears were proven wrong. I don't know what happened to Randal when I got on that plane, but this Randal cleaned the house, cooked dinner for the kids, made sure schedules were kept, and even shampooed the carpets while the kids were with their grandparents (who were also a huge help while I was gone!).

Not only did he keep things nice and tidy and keep the kids happy and healthy, he also kept this wife of his at peace by sending overly detailed updates that made me giggle away how much I was missing my babies.

His emails were extensive and hilarious. You can read most of them here [http://mandmschafers.blogspot.com/]. He was encouraged by my family to start a blog, so of course he did! I will share a few of my favorite bits with you right now...


I missed these guys and our everyday silliness...it's what we do best.

Upon the departure from ICT airport we drove west, like Micheal W Smith told us to do. - Daddy on the day's activities after dropping me off at the airport

It's ok, snowmen are made out of snow not people - Mason, talking to daddy about building a snowman and then knocking him over.

He told her, "Can you say ORPHANAGE?"  She tried and it sounded like baggage.  Then he proceed to break down the word for her.  - Mason talking to Madison about where daddy said mommy went that day.

They both went to bed without crying or yelling.  I think the day wore them out, or I am just an amazing parent.  We read Gustav the goldfish tonight. - Daddy on bed time a couple of nights into the trip.

After getting her bags and saying goodbye to her UG team, we headed to the car, and got ready to fill our ears with UG stories, our stomachs with TX Roadhouse, and our hearts with love. Mommy told us a few stories, we told her some stories. It IS good to have her back. - Randal, on the day I got back (Texas Roadhouse was wonderful, by the way)


This was my big welcome when I got home :)


Thank you Randal for taking good care of my little people and our home while I was away and for keeping me well informed and amused! You surprised me in the best ways while I was in Uganda!

No comments:

Post a Comment