Pages

Monday, January 23, 2012

Open Letter Series: Part 5 – My Generation

Philippians 12:14-16

Do everything without grumbling or arguing, so that you may become blameless and pure, “children of God without fault in a warped and crooked generation.” Then you will shine among them like stars in the sky as you hold firmly to the word of life. And then I will be able to boast on the day of Christ that I did not run or labor in vain.

Dear fellow Echo-Boomers:


I hate hearing stories about people my age that are doing something wrong, followed with the phrase “I guess that’s what you get at that age”.  This REALLY gets me fired up.  I don’t like being lumped in with a group known for being lazy and, quite frankly, selfish.  I’m 26 and I’m proud of that.  I don’t like people bringing down what it means to be in our twenties.  I’m sick of it, so I’m asking you to help me turn this image around.

In our day to day lives, it’s REALLY easy to get lost in the shuffle.  I know that, for me, it happens way too often.  I’ve got the kids, Randal and I to take care of, work, church, and other miscellaneous activities to keep up with.  It’s not rare for me to get caught up in my own little world and give into the temptation to not pay attention to anything going on around me.  And the older I get, the more I realize how disappointing that is, yet how often it happens – especially with our generation.  We get caught up in school and work, even in the ministries that we’re involved in.  We’re getting married; we’re starting careers and families.  It’s easy to let that consume us.  But we’re called to something much more worthwhile. 

We need to live differently.  One piece of that is staying plugged into the needs around us.  We are the technology generation.  We carry the internet in our pockets and purses.  How is that we are so out of touch with the problems that this world is facing?  I can’t count the number of times that a friend of mine has posted something on Facebook about a ministry or an issue and I have thought “how did I not know about this?” Sadly, it took a while for me to realize that I didn’t know about these things because I wasn’t searching them out.  I thought I was doing my part. I prayed when I was asked to and I helped where I could.  But I was waiting for the prayer requests, the desperate situations where someone would ask for help, someone organizing a mission opportunity, the link about the bake sale that I could donate to.  I was waiting for my church and my friends to get me the information.  How unrealistic (see statement above about lazy and selfish people and apply directly to me)!

If we really want to make a difference in this world, we have to seek out the opportunities to do that.  We have to ask that God would help us find the information that we need and then we have to go look for it.  We need to be more up to date about issues that currently plague this planet.  We need to get involved with important organizations that are bringing the Word to lost people all over.  We need to step up and take responsibility for a world that is ours.  We can’t just read the front page of CNN.com and pray for the requests on Facebook and Twitter and call it a day – we have to dig deeper.

There are needs in our families, churches, communities, country, and world that we cannot ignore.  There is information out there and there is a need for action.  There are a million ways that you can get involved.  Pick one and jump in wholeheartedly.  Don’t ignore it when the Spirit prompts you to do something - follow through.  Let Him use the experiences that you’ve had in your life to minister to others in their time of need.

There is a line in a song that chokes me up every time I sing it.  Brooke Fraser penned “Hosanna” and, in it, she wrote this:

I see a generation
Rising up to take their place
With selfless faith


This is what I pray for us constantly:  that we would rise to the occasion that our Father has called us to. I know that we can be more.  I know that we can change the way that we’re perceived as “Gen-Y”.  I know that there is a lost world out there that needs saving and people that need comfort and love.  And I am confident in the knowledge that we are the generation that can change things and bring glory to the One who made us for His purpose.

Do I have this all figured out?  Absolutely not. Am I as action-minded as I need to be?  Absolutely not. But I'm ready to work towards fulfilling the plan that God has laid out for me.  And I know that includes leaving a big footprint on this world that centers on Him.

Hoping and praying that you'll join me,
Beth

No comments:

Post a Comment