Pages

Wednesday, April 24, 2013

(Over)Committed

This week, I’ve had numerous people that I care deeply for and trust immensely tell me the same thing, and I don’t even think they scheduled a secret meeting and worked it out ahead of time….

They told me I’m too busy. They told me I need to cut back. They told me I need a break.

One warned me, “I know you want to make the most out of life, but you have to be alive to live it.” One person said “Sabbath is a distant memory for you”. One just told me I was crazy.

They’re all right. I’m overscheduling and stressing myself out. I’m wasting away and I’m not able to give my all to anyone because I’m trying to give something to everyone.


I’m not an idiot (give yourself a minute to snicker at that…I’ll wait). I’ve known this for a while. And I’ve learned how to say “no” a lot better than I used to….but there’s still a lot of progress to be made in this department.

A while ago, I read about this guy named Bob Goff. He wrote “Love Does” which is a great read on living a different life, full of love and adventure, in order to show Christ to those around you. One of Bob’s routines is “Quit Thursday”. Every Thursday, without fail, he quits something….a role, a position, a habit, whatever he can think of. It helps him stay mobile & flexible and keeps him tuned in to where God wants him to focus. It keeps him from getting bogged down with committing to things that aren’t important or really need his attention. It helps give perspective to what needs to be done and what can be pushed aside.

I don’t know if I can quit something every week, but I think it’s a great way to look at things. We get so set in our ways and routines that we forget to follow God’s direction and we get bogged down with our human fears and crazy ideas. I don’t want that to be me. I want to know that I’m putting in time on the things that are important and that I’m not trying to play superwoman, which I too often do…I want to know that the people I’m investing in are getting the best of me and not the run-down, ragged version. I want to make sure that God is glorified in my work and that it’s not just busy work.

Most of all, I want to revel in Him and His goodness. I want to rest in Him. I need to rest. He made me that way. He made me to value the still, small voice that I so often am too loud and hurried to hear.

No comments:

Post a Comment