Pages

Thursday, December 15, 2011

I'm giving up my birthday!

While I still feel like a 5 year old on the inside and act like a 75 year old on the outside, I am indeed almost 27.

But here's the thing.  As I sit here and make plans for my sweet little girl's 2nd birthday, I am also praying for a sweet little girl named Paxten who is getting a bone marrow transplant before her 2nd birthday because she has leukemia. 

Then my mind wanders to my mom's cousin who recently passed away after a hard fought battle with multiple myeloma and the family that is left behind to carry on without a great man.

Then I can't help but dwell on thoughts of my grandpa.  The toughest fighter I've ever known.  He's battled through numerous bouts with cancer for more than a decade and beats it time after time.  I can't put into words how it moves me to think about the fact that I can call him a cancer survivor.  I love this man:



I could make this blog much, much longer if I listed all of the people in my life who have fought cancer.  Some are still with us, and others we miss dearly. All of us have been affected by cancer, even if we haven't had it ourselves. That's why I decided to give up my birthday.

I want kids like Paxten to have more birthdays to celebrate with sugar highs.  I wish my mom's cousin-in-law could still give a hug to her best friend.  I want my grandpa around to see as many milestones in the lives of his grandkids and great grandkids as possible.

I want more birthdays for all of us, so me giving up #27 seemed like a good idea.

So here's the deal...you need to check this out and donate if you can:  http://www.crowdrise.com/bethsbirthday

How was cancer affected you?  Who do you know and love that has battled cancer?  Leave a comment here with your story.  Then check out my link and donate if you can.  Whether you give or not, spread the word.  My goal is $2700 for my 27th - help me get there by February 5th!

No comments:

Post a Comment