Pages

Thursday, December 8, 2011

Open Letter Series - Part Two - Randal

Dearest Randy:

We’ve come a long way since 2003.  The goofy guy with the guitar and the little blue pick-up meets the nerdy girl with the stupid yellow and red fingernails and they watch The Italian Job.  Who knew what the next few years had in store for us!? 

First Came Love:

I still can’t believe how fast I fell in love with you. And while I hate to admit that it was love at first sight for me and not for you, I can’t blame you.  I mean, seriously…red and yellow fingernails only hinted at my strange KC Chiefs obsession…it takes a little while to see past that ;)  But I’ll never forget that night after volleyball at the church when you asked me on a date so calmy and cooly.  And I’ll never stop laughing at the fact that, while I bent down to get a cough drop from my purse, you tested out the armrests on the seats at the Warren to make sure you could hold my hand if I wanted you to.  And my family will never forget how you tagged along to my brother’s birthday dinner just a week after our first date because I asked expecting you to say it was too soon.  I should have known then that you and I would have a pretty entertaining relationship! J

You helped me through so many tough situations just when we were dating:  Making the move from FT student to FT worker and PT student, getting my first apartment, my first management job, running off creepers at aforementioned apartment, the loss of a very special friend, and countless other minor emergencies, including the worst flu I’ve had to date.

You showed me just how strong you were during this time.  You proved to me over and over again that you would work as hard as you had to in order to get things accomplished.  You showed me the picture of what it means to overcome the worst of circumstances and how you can decide to not let other peoples’ decisions shape who you are and what you do with your life.  I can’t tell you how much this side of you still impresses me to this day.  You shouldn’t be the man you are today…not many people would be.  It’s one of your best qualities and something that will make your kids and grandkids extra proud someday.


Then Came Marriage:

I’m glad to this day that I was wrong about how the day was going to go that fateful November day.  I had no idea what you were doing when we went by the old dorms.  And I’m glad I said yes! J The planning was fun – thanks for keeping me in check.  And I’ll always appreciate the way you comforted me when I was upset about tablecloths when we were setting up the reception decorations!

We’ve had our ups and downs since June 4, 2005. We’ve hurt each other in different ways.  But love isn’t always about the fuzzy feeling in your gut and it’s hard work sometimes.  We’ve overcome things I never thought we could.  We’ve experienced healing together that only God can bring.  We’ve learned to lean on Him and built ourselves on a stronger foundation than before.  And, as heartbreaking and hard as it’s been at times, I’m so proud to share that story with you.


Then came the babies in the baby carriage:

Man, we make good babies.  It’s been a great, exhausting adventure having these two bundles of joy and M & m are in love with you.  Even though Madi doesn’t always come to you and won’t always give you kisses, I see the way she looks at you.  She looks up to you.  You’re guiding her and teaching her every day and she loves it.  I love watching it.   And Mason is attached at the hip…you don’t need me to tell you that.  As much as I hate that I don’t always get to spend the entire evening with you, I love hearing him yell “DADDY COME LAY WITH ME!” down the hall J I can’t wait to share the coming years together and watch you coach soccer teams and help with math homework (you know I’m not doing either of those!).

Your commitment to be a good husband and father has continued to grow and mean the world to me.  I know that someday our kids will be able to see that too and will appreciate how hard you worked at that, just like I do.

I love you.
~Lizzie

1 comment:

  1. What?!? You (and I) were sooo calm about those tablecloths!! Haha great blog! Love you and your family sis.

    ReplyDelete