Pages

Thursday, November 4, 2010

30 Days of Giving - Day 4

Today is a tough one...one of those days when I'd really like to forget about this challenge and just focus on my own problems, but I'm glad I've accepted this challenge and am looking at this day as a huge one for growth. 

Last night, my maternal grandma had a heart attack.  Initially, things looked hopeless.  I felt more helpless than I have in a while.  She was out of state when it happened, so my mom and her siblings had to quickly drive to be with her and my grandpa.  Thankfully, we've had more reports over the last few hours that make things look a little better, but we are still all needing a lot of prayer.  This could be a very long, scary road and we will all be tested as we lean on the Father for strength and hope.

So today, it would be super easy to throw in the towel on this 30 day thing and focus on this.  Granted, I think giving of my time and energy to all of this is good, but the bigger lesson at hand is that other people need me to give too.  I cannot forget that, even now.  The past two months have been the hardest of my life...I could give up pretty easily and don't think many people would judge me for that...but here I am, resting on the only One who gets me through the days, especially this one.  Satan is attacking and my only defense is Him and He tells me to get back up, dust myself off, and plow through - it's for His glory and it will all work towards His good.  I know that...it's just easier to remember on certain days.

So here it is, a chance for something great - what will I do with it?  I'm using today for a big project.  This will not be completed in one day, as I am asking for assistance from other givers and this is a big undertaking.  But I know that He will bless this effort, so here goes! I want this verse to be a reflection of my life, to be unexpected in this world:

Out of the most severe trial, their overflowing joy and their extreme poverty welled up in rich generosity. For I testify that they gave as much as they were able, and even beyond their ability. Entirely on their own, they urgently pleaded with us for the privilege of sharing in this service to the saints. And they did not do as we expected, but they gave themselves first to the Lord and then to us in keeping with God's will. ~ 2 Corinthians 8:2-5

1 comment:

  1. Day 5: I am not sure Beth is going to be at a computer anymore today, so I will take it upon myself to write Day 5 for her. Beth unselfishly drove to Joplin MO tonight to be with our grandma who was unexpectantly in the hospital. She left her husband and children at home and drove 4 hours to support our family. While this isn't "beyond her ability", it is definitely something that isn't a daily task and isn't easy for a mother of 2 small children. Beth and Randal both gave of themselves on Day 5.
    (This is written by Kelli, but I didn't have an account to sign in to to comment!)

    ReplyDelete