Pages

Tuesday, November 30, 2010

What's it all for?

Ok...so I'm one of those people.  When something is important to me, I want to read every book on the topic that I can get my hands on!  This drove Randal crazy when I was pregnant...but I wanted to know EVERYTHING that COULD happen so that I was ready and armed against whatever came out of the blue.  This is how I deal with things, so he put up with it :)  Well, in the past 5 years, I've read a LOT of books about marriage and parenting.  I'm reading a couple right now and they've got me thinking...so that has me typing tonight :)

You name the book, I've probably read it or own it...I've read books about how to be a better mother while trying to be a better wife, books about how to pray for your husband, books about how to be a Godly wife, books about how to speak your spouse's love language, etc, etc, etc.  I've pieced together my own idea of what being a wife and mother looks like over the years.  This may or may not be something that others agree with, and that's ok - b/c I think everyone's family has to function differently, and also that no one has it all figured out.  But here's what's got me thinking so much...of all of these books that I've read, they have all tried to give me a reason to do the things they say.  If you're a better parent, your kids won't be so screwed up; If you're a better wife, you'll have a better family; If you're a better wife, you're husband won't leave you; If you're a better wife, your husband will be better to you, etc, etc, etc.

There is a laundry list of reasons to do the things we do on a daily basis, but my question is, what is it all really for?  I mostly read Christian books, but I feel like a lot of them don't focus enough on the big picture.  Yes, I want my kids and my husband, and my life to be better, but first and foremost, as a Christ follower, my duty is to carry out these daily "routines" to the Glory of God.  Everything about my life is made to give me opportunities to bring Him glory, so that's what it's for.

The fact that my life was formed brings Him glory.  The fact that I am saved from the penalties of my sin brings Him glory.  The fact that a little girl like me can stand tall in face of adversity and fear brings Him glory. The fact that I have peace, even in the darkest times, brings Him glory.  He is a wonderful God and He is the only God that deserves whatever glory we can bring Him.  He is the only God that is worthy to demand it of us, so He does. Because He is that great.

So why do things every day that might make a difference?  I just got done doing the 30 day giving challenge...why take the time?  B/c it would make a difference, that's why.  Because whatever good thatt giving does, it brings Him glory.  I think that's why anonymous things are so much more fun - there's no chance of anyone else getting credit but Him :)

So why work on your marriage or parenting?  Do you do it to help with your insecurities?  Or so that your kids won't grow up to be what you fear the most? Or to deal with infidelity?  Or just to better yourself for the heck of it?  Whatever the reasoning has been, the heart of it should be for Him. 

I make the decision every day to love Randal and work on our marriage.  Some days, it's easier than others.  But I know that making that decision not only makes my life better, it brings God glory to see that from His children. I do everything in my power to protect and care for my kids - that makes my heart warm to see them taken care of, but I know that it brings God glory to see me taking care of His kids and raising them to know their Father. 

I won't even try and trick you into thinking that I do everything with this in mind...in fact, I do a lot of things exactly the opposite and I kick myself after.  I'm stupid, but luckily He gets that and has me covered. 

So that is all.  I just need a re-focus sometimes and I think God puts this on my heart in just the right moments.  Glory to Him! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment